Coronavirus Update: Planning and Building Control

Posted on 27 March 2020

Last updated 30 April 2020 at 8.45am

In response to Covid19 Planning and Building Control has adapted the service it provides at the present time. The service is open for business in respect of continuing to process existing workloads and accepting new applications. Site visits are being undertaken in accordance with a safe site visits protocol. Please contact the department to discuss this on a case-by-case basis. We are seeking to work as effectively as possible and we ask that where you have any interest or concern in respect of a particular application that you contact the case officer or the duty officer to discuss how to take matters forward proactively during this period.

We would kindly ask during this time that you contact us electronically where you are able in the first instance at the following addresses:

Please note that the Building Control Duty Officer is available (01775 764557) during normal council working hours. The Planning Duty Officer is available to (01775 764703) to Monday to Thursday, 9am until 1pm. 

Enquiry forms for planning can be found on the Council's website on the pre-application advice web page and Building Control enquiry form.

For Dangerous Structures please continue to call 01775 761161.


We are continuing to accept and process new planning applications and will work with all interested parties to take these forward as effectively and efficiently as possible during this period. We continue to aim to determine your applications within the statutory time frame. However, it may be that certain applications take longer to determine than usual. In such cases we shall be seeking appropriate extensions of time and appreciate you working with us to do so. Please speak to the relevant case officer should you have any questions or concerns.

At the present time applications and representations submitted via the post will only be picked up intermittently. Wherever possible please submit any new planning applications via or email to

Changes to national legislation on permitted development rights mean that restaurants, cafes and drinking establishments (Use Class A3, A4, mixed A3 and A4 and Class AA) can now sell takeaway food for a limited period of 12 months. It is subject to a condition that the owner notifies the Local Planning Authority if the building and any land within its curtilage is being used, or will be used, for the provision of takeaway food at any time during the relevant period. The provision of takeaway food includes the provision of hot or cold food that has been prepared for consumers for collection or delivery to be consumed off the premises.
Notification should be made in writing or by email to

Building Control and Consultancy:

We are proceeding with existing workloads and accepting new business. Site visits and inspections are being undertaken in accordance with a safe site visits protocol. Please contact the department to discuss this on a case-by-case basis.

We thank you for your support at this time and apologise for any inconvenience caused.