SHDC Housing Benefits Overpayments

How do I pay back my overpayment?

  • Deductions from Housing Benefit - we can make deductions from your Housing Benefit entitlement if you are still receiving Housing Benefit.
  • Online Payments - payments can be made online using a credit or debit card using our Payment Portal.
  • Automated Payment Line - please ring 0345 340 9310 to make a payment using our payment line. Payments can be made by credit or debit card. Please have your invoice number and card details available.
  • Internet Banking - if you wish to pay direct from your bank account, you will need the following information:
    • Sort code: 30-00-00
    • Account Number : 00211567
    • Account Name: South Holland District Council
    • Please quote your invoice number when making payments
  • Post - Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to South Holland District Council and sent to:
    • South Holland District Council, Priory Road, Spalding, PE11 2XE.
    • Please write your invoice number on the back of your cheque. Post dated cheques are not accepted. Please do not send cash through the post.

What happens if I cannot pay all the money at once?

If you cannot afford to pay all the money back straightaway, please contact our Overpayments Team on 01507 329199. We may be able to make a payment arrangement with you for the overpayment to be repaid over a period of time.

The sooner you contact us, the more likely it is that we can help you.