Improvement Work On Council Houses

Every year the Council supports a program of improvement works to its housing stock to ensure that each home meets or exceeds the Decent Homes Standard.

The works include roofing, fitting of new kitchens and bathrooms, central heating renewal, electrical upgrades, external painting of woodwork and general repairs to brickwork and paths.

We also support the annual servicing of Gas and Solid Fuel heating appliances and five year cycle of electrical checks.

If your property is going to be included in one of our programs, you will be written to. You may also be asked to allow access in the property before work begins so that various surveys can be carried out in preparation for the work.

Please be aware that any person visiting your home on behalf of the Council will carry an identity card, if they cannot produce one you can refuse them access.

Current annual programs of work are:


A new roof covering is applied and plastic fascias and soffits fitted.

New Kitchen and Bathrooms

Please note that your kitchen and bathroom may not be upgraded at the same time.

In the kitchen we will:

  • Take down the ceiling to access pipework and electrics, re-board and plaster.
  • Fit new kitchen units and work tops (tenants are offered a choice of colour)
  • Fit white splash back wall tiles with coloured inserts (tenants are offered a choice of insert colour)
  • Lay new flooring (tenants are offered a choice of colour)
  • Decorate the room with wallpaper and paint (tenants are offered a choice of colour)
  • The electrics in your home will also be upgraded at the same time so access will be required to all rooms in the property.

In the bathroom we will:

  • Take down the ceiling to access pipework and electrics, re-board and plaster.
  • Fit a new bathroom suite (wet rooms are fitted in bungalows instead of a bath unless there is medical need for a bath)
  • In houses where tenants do not have a shower, a shower point is provided should you wish to incorporate an over bath shower at a later date.
  • Existing working showers are checked and refitted and new showers can be fitted for a one-off charge of £136.64. This can be paid in up to four instalments; however half of the amount must be paid before it is fitted.


Electrical Upgrade

Work includes the replacement of all electrical fittings such as switches, sockets, light fittings and smoke detectors.  Access will be required to all rooms in the property.

Central Heating

The majority of this work includes the replacement of gas boilers coming to the end of their useful life. In areas without gas we sometimes install air or ground source heating. All our properties now have full central heating, however if you have a room without heating please contact us on 01775 761161.

Painting & Repairs

All external woodwork is painted in order to protect it and rotten wood is cut out and replaced. This contract also includes the cleaning of PVCU fascias and soffits.

General Repairs

The general repairs contract covers external repairs to brickwork, re pointing of walls and chimneys and the repair or replacement of concrete paths.

Gas Servicing

As a landlord, South Holland District Council must carry out an annual Gas Safety Check on all gas appliances that they have supplied.  The Gas Safe registered contractor we have employed will contact you in order to make an appointment that is convenient for you.  You must allow access for this work as stated in your tenancy agreement, failure to allow access may result in us capping the gas supply until we can satisfy ourselves that the appliance(s) is safe. 

Solid Fuel Servicing

Every year we service all solid fuel appliances and sweep any used chimneys to ensure that the appliance is safe and working correctly.  Our Solid Fuel Contractor will contact you when your service and sweep is due and make an appointment.

Electric Checks

Every five years our contractor will carry out an electrical inspection on your property. They will carry out any immediate repairs needed and advise us of any further works that need to be done in the future.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are the works carried out on a street by street or estate basis?

No. The work is targeted towards those properties in most need, which is based upon a combination of the age and condition of the components needing replacement. For this reason it is possible that your neighbour's property will be included in any one of the programs when your home is not.

How much will the work cost?

For tenants there is no charge and it will not affect the amount you pay.

If work is carried out to your bathroom and you have requested the installation of a shower then you will be asked to pay £136.64 as a one-off charge.

For leaseholders - For communal work such as those carried out as General Repairs you will be consulted on the amount you will be required to pay.

What happens if I have submitted a Right to Buy application?

No works will be carried out on your property if you have submitted a formal application to buy your home.

How will I know if any work is scheduled to be carried out on my home?

You will be written to well in advance of any works starting.  If you want to plan further ahead, please contact us on 01775 761161, and we can let you know when work is planned for your home. 

I have just moved into a Council House and I don't know how to use the heating, what should I do?

Our workmen usually leave a guide on how to use the heating in all empty properties, if you didn't receive one or want more information please contact us on 01775 761161.