We are committed to protecting public funds and have a dedicated Fraud Investigation Team to prevent and detect any fraudulent claims.
We treat Fraud very seriously and will look into any allegations that we receive.
There are many types of Benefit and Council Tax Support Fraud but the main ones are listed below.
You will be committing Fraud if you make a false statement or knowingly fail to tell us about
- Money you receive and changes to it
- Money held in bank accounts, savings and investments and changes to them
- The people living in your household
- A change in circumstances
To report a change in circumstances, you can download a form, request a form or pick one up at our Customer Contact Area offices.
How do I report a suspected fraud?
You can report a suspected fraud by
Calling the Freephone Hotline on 0800 002 008 if you suspect someone is committing Council Tax Support Fraud
Calling the National Benefit Hotline on 0800 854 440 for suspected Housing Benefit Fraud
What action is taken against fraud?
Benefit Fraud is a serious offence which
- Is punishable by law
- Can lead to a criminal conviction in court and a criminal record.
- May result in costs or other penalties and the repayment of any overpayment.
We have a Code of Practice for officers who carry out investigations.